Friday, April 22, 2011

Notes on Marfan's Syndrome in the Fallon Family

Tim and I am awaiting our follow up appts with the cardiologist after my tilt table test, and Tim's cardiac ablation.  Double checking Tim's rhythm, and EKG, and we still need to find a treatment for me to take...meds to make me keep water in my body so I don't dehydrate which causes low blood volume, and low BP, passing out.  Or steroids to help with this as well. 

I have found out  that my low BP can also be associated with Marfan's and I have read that as well.  So I am betting I have Marfan's too, Just not as severe as Tim's.  So, it is probably in our sibling group generation, and you all have 50:50 chance to have gotten it from dad.  And 50:50 chance to have passed it on to your kids.  It is autosomal dominant (thus the 50:50 chance), so you only need one defective gene, not two, and you either get it or you don't.

The taller and more slender people have more of a risk.  
Some symptoms of Marfan's: heart issues (May be Di Gorge Syndrome, which they also think Tim has), sleep apnea, scoliosis, hernias, spontaneous collapsed lungs, detached retinas, hypermobility in joints, low BP/fainting, chest malformations, malformation of jaw, etc.  There are more, but these are some of the main ones.  Many people don't even know they have it (like me-as I age, they are popping up) until someone else in the family is found out to have it.  Can be so subtle, or all the symptoms very noticible.   

Just passing on the word, and for you to keep an eye out for these things. I am really not trying to be a downer...I just want you to have this information in the back of your mind, if anything arises with yourselves, or the next generation of the Fallon clan. 

Love to all of you.

Colleen              

No comments:

Post a Comment